Psychic Senses - the clairs
We are all born with intuitive gifts. Can you remember a time when you just knew something to be true without explanation? Or, had a feeling that something wasn’t right, but couldn’t explain why?
These different ways of sensing, knowing, feeling, hearing and seeing are real. They are known as the psychic senses or the ‘clairs’ and each one represents a way in which we receive intuitive guidance.
Learning to understand, acknowledge and connect with your own innate psychic wisdom gives your natural abilities strength and can help you live life from an expanded viewpoint.
Most of us are familiar with at least one of the clairs – clairvoyance. People generally associate clairvoyance with the ability to ‘see’ or predict future events. But there are actually 8 clairs, or extrasensory perceptions. These are the 5 most prevalent:
1. Clairvoyance (clear seeing). Also known as the psychic third eye, this is the most well-known, but least understood of the clair senses. A clairvoyant’s ability to ‘see’ can range from one end of the spectrum to the other – from subtle visual representations to vivid visions. Clairvoyance for some might mean seeing a flash of the colour blue while speaking
to someone, while others might experience premonitions with detailed mental footage or visualise images from the past.
2. Claircognizance (clear knowing). This kind of divine guidance is often delivered to us by intuitive thoughts that simply pop into our head. It’s suddenly knowing something to be true, without logic or fact to back it up. Sometimes this is a stroke of instant insight or a persistent awareness that something is simply not as it should be. Claircognizants just know the information they receive is accurate without knowing how or why.
3. Clairaudience (clear hearing). This type of psychic intuition is more auditory than claircognizance. It’s that little voice in your head that you can clearly distinguish. It can sound like your own voice or a voice from the unknown. Clairaudients can receive intuitive sound messages with their inner or outer hearing. It’s being able to hear things other people can’t –, sounds, music, or even words or phrases from the spiritual or ethereal realm.
4. Clairempathy (clear emotion). Ever walk into a room and be able to sense the tension or the sadness as though it was palpable? You were using clairempathy. People who can sense the energy in and around people are clairempaths. They are intuitively aware of other people’s emotions and receive information and divine guidance by perceiving what someone might be thinking or feeling in an empathetic way.
5. Clairsentience (clear feeling). This is that ‘gut feeling’ you have that intuitively tells you something isn’t as it should be. Clairsentients receive intuitive insight through physical experience. They feel, (not just sense) other people’s emotions, ailments or injuries through visceral sensations. They can often experience the pain, jealousy or fear associated with an event or a particular place. Clairsentients can actually feel the energy, whereas clairempaths can sense the energy.
We usually have a dominant way of receiving divine guidance through the clair senses, but some people may be able to tune into more than one of their extrasensory perceptions. I am able to receive intuitive guidance through clairvoyance, claircognizance, clairempathy and clairsentience, while feeling often seems the strongest, the others come in as needed. I can feel, sense and know the energy around me.
Tuning in to our natural psychic senses gives us a heightened awareness of our higher selves that is rich in insight, clarity and perspective. And although some people are naturally much more intuitive than others, with a little practise we can all tap in to and strengthen our psychic abilities. So, the next time you feel, hear or sense something in a genuine way be careful not to disregard it, these extrasensory perceptions could take you on an extraordinary journey.